Monday, June 11, 2012

Standing Out!


In the last week I've come across three posts that reverberated with my own tug-of-war with

visibility vs. invisibility, camouflage vs. standing out.

Susan Roebuck wrote of her dislike of promotion here

 Jemi Fraser wrote about feeling invisible in her post Invisibility

Jennifer, a faith-filled missionary in South Africa, wrote a post about Camouflage


We each struggle with the opposite twin hopes: to be visible, and yet to be invisible, to be heard and yet to be safe, to stand out and yet protected by camouflage.

It depends on the day, doesn't it?  Or is that me?

When I was teen, I had moment when I wanted to fit in, when I wanted no one to notice me, when I wished I could be invisible. But those moments would only last for a moment, or a day, or maybe a few months . . .and then I would realize that I just stuck out like a sore thumb no matter how hard I tried to fit in with others. Then I would embrace my oddness and stand out on purpose. Then something would happen and I would wish for invisibility again.

Now I'm an adult, and a writer, and I still go through that same pendulum swing of wishing to be visible and then wishing to be camouflaged.

When I went to a writers' conference recently, I tried to dress comfortably, but also to dress in a way that didn't stand out. I just wanted to lay low.

Of course, when I got there, I realized that I didn't want to do that really, so I walked around, shook hands, and made conversation.

For years, and years, and years, I only told writing classmates, close friends and immediate family members that I wanted to be a writer. I wanted to camouflage my writing until it became amazing, awesome and famous.

Then about six years ago I decided that I wanted to get my writing out there, even if it wasn't awesome sauce. I started pursuing publication. I kept myself on a writing schedule, and kept myself accountable. Three years ago I started a blog - more accountability, more schedule, more standing out. A few years ago, I started talking about it with friends and acquaintances. (NaNoWriMo kind of forced that issue with that tough writing schedule).

It's true that I've been slammed a few times (like literally two times).

But the biggest truth about standing out and standing up for my dream of being a writer is that I have found:
tons of support,

amazing encouragement,

people who cheer me on,

and people who tell me to keep writing and keep dreaming.

So for all of you writers out there who feel like doing this:

I suggest you put down the camouflage and stand out instead like this:



It's worth it!
Be bold!


"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7



Remember to check out those links I mentioned up above for Susan, Jemi, and Jennnifer!

Are you ready to stand out and stand up as a writer?


100 Days of Revision, Day 41
Had a few slow days over the weekend (part of June dance mom madness and knowing 5 grads this year), but I'm making slow but steady progress and am keeping up with weekly goals for revision.

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And we continue to fight that battle every day. I stepped out of hiding and now there is no returning.
Excellent verse for this post!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Just keep standing out! And thanks!!!

Tara Tyler said...

that was well said! and what a cute pic of the kitty hiding w/the raccoons! be bold!

Aidyl Ewoh said...

Wow, I just found you blog (from the Never Surrender Blogfest), and I must say, I like it… Everything about it that I’ve seen so far, I like. A page I’ll be visiting again, for sure!
~Aidyl

Aidyl Ewoh said...

Wow, I just found you blog (from the Never Surrender Blogfest), and I must say, I like it… Everything about it that I’ve seen so far, I like. A page I’ll be visiting again, for sure!
~Aidyl

Tyrean Martinson said...

Tara - Thanks!

Aidy - Wow! Thanks!!!

Alleged Author said...

I'm definitely like you. Sometimes I do want to stand out, but then, when I do, I want to go into hiding once more.

Unknown said...

This is such a great post...and a battle cry. Be bold! I love it. I need to learn to do that better because I too try to blend in too much, and even afraid at times to be noticed. It's hard to become successful if nobody notices you. Thanks for this. :)

Joseph S. Ramirez said...

Argh! You're right, dangit. I'm headed to a conference in the near future, and I think this year... I gotta take off that raccoon mask and just go for it.

I think I might even print business cards.

Thank you.

De said...

Great post. LOVED the racoon/cat in disguise picture! : )

Unknown said...

I just saw this Tyrean. I'm so like you in that I try to keep things peaceful and not peek out of my shell. But if I see any kind of injustice or unfairness (to others) then I'm up there yelling and shouting about it. It's something I loathe and will fight to my dying day. But, when it comes to me and my writing...well...I try :-) Your attitude is best: Be bold!