Monday, April 5, 2010

The Recent Chocolate Chip Cookie Celebration

Just yesterday, it took my husband three taste tests to determine which batch of cookies cooling on the racks were his "regular" cookies. This is an awesome success for me in my "trouble"-free cooking! It is also a worry . . . because now I really have to make sure my cooking stays separate. I may even have to "gasp" not cook "regular" cookies anymore.

The funny part about my husband's "regular" cookies is that the only different thing is the flour mix. I make his cookies with egg replacer instead of eggs as well because he has some trouble with eggs, garlic and dairy. We don't replace the butter in our cookies very often, because finding margarine that we can eat is a laughable process. However, I do have a cookie bar recipe that works with oil instead of butter or margarine. I'll try to post that one too.

As you may notice with all my recipes, there is no one, true way yet . . . the experiement process is still taking place. The flour mix I used happened by accident because I was out of my own, and my mom handed me hers, which didn't have arrowroot meal in it by accident so . . .

Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Corn-Free, Rice-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Flour Mix used (I think – have yet to duplicate Grandma’s mix):
22 oz. Sorghum flour, and 22 oz. Garbanzo and Fava Bean flour mix from Bob’s Red Mill.
All mixed together in a large container.

Dry Ingredients:
2 and ¼ cups flour mix
2 teaspoons EnerG dry Egg Replacer
1 teaspoon guar gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar

Wet Ingredients:
1 Cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

14 oz chocolate chips (more than a usual size bag)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix Dry Ingredients.
3. Mix Wet ingredients separately.
4. Mix dry and wet ingredients together.
5. Mix in the chocolate chips.
6. Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
7. Bake in the 375 degree oven for 8-14 minutes, depending on the size of the cookie.

Note: this is just a recipe from the back of a chocolate chip bag with a few replacements. I don’t really make my own without starting from a recipe from somewhere.

No comments: